Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Overqualified

I recently started a new job here in Pasadena. I am working at a burger joint called Islands. I've always wanted to say, "Burger Joint". I never new the right time. What constitutes the joint portion? The guy who hired me called it that and he's a general manager. You don't get to that position in life without knowing what is and what is not a Burger Joint. Anyway, I had been looking for a job for quite some time. I had two problems with myself as a candidate. I am student and I was only looking for about 15-20 hrs a week. Pasadena is a college town. There are about 4 or 5 colleges in the surrounding area and apparently everyone is looking for part time work and no one wants part timers. That is problem one. I was unaware of my second problem until I was in the middle of my interview process for the Burger Joint.

While being interviewed for this job as Host/Waiter my interviewer looked over my application and paused. When you are looking for a job and the interviewer pauses your heart sinks to your knee caps. All of a sudden you find yourself thinking back to whether or not you spelled your name correctly, that you did not check the felony box etc. After what felt like an eternity, she look at me and winced. I have never been more terrified in my life. She says;

Matthew, your a Master's Student? (in thick Australian Accent)

Yes, this is my first quarter of my Master's of Divinity program.

Oh, well...boy...um. You are seriously overqualified for this job. Wouldn't you rather be working in a more related field?

Well, like I said I am in school and my time is limited because of my class schedule. So that limits me.

Yea, I understand, but you are very much over qualified.

Yea.

I have never been more patronized over that fact that I am educated in my life. I found myself regretting my undergraduate degree. Hating the fact that I desired to have higher education. Despising the fact that I am smart. Why can't I be a below average student that is content with mediocrity!

Finally, after much convincing and mind manipulation with small words, I was offered the job.

To make things even worse. After I was offered the job I received a phone call.

Hi, is this Matt?

Yes


Hey, this is Ralph from Islands, I just wanted call and tell you orientation is at 8:30 Saturday morning.

Ok, no problem.

Also, I was told you have a beard.

Yea.

Yea, at islands we only allow sideburns and goatees, so you will need to shave.

...ok

See you Saturday!

I'll be there.

Friday night was the night. Doing something I had not done for years. Shave. Not just trim and shape up. Baby face. No longer will people confuse me for Grizzly Adams or their Rabbi. Now, they will confuse me for their twelve year old brother.

If anyone hears of any jobs in Pasadena, let me know. Only ones that allow beards.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe since you are of such high intelligence, you can help increase the islands productivity and boost moral :) I've loved reading your blogs btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i had some free time at work and wanted to check in to see how you're getting along in california. it seems like an aweful state. no beards? but they allow for goatees? is everyone really into metal and hardcore in there 40s there? even mustaches are classier than that. *sigh. hang in there buddy. this will all pay off and you'll have your beard and integrity back in no time. i'm glad you like it there.

    ReplyDelete