Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hip or not Hip?


I am continually amazed and how trendy Los Angeles is. I like to believe that I am a fairly trendy individual. Also, coming from South Carolina, I may have been on the "cutting edge" from time to time. I may have even, dare I say, started a trend or two.

But, in L.A. I am tragically behind, unhip, another face in the crowd.

Currently I am sitting in a coffeeshop in downtown Hollywood called Psychobabble, and I can count 9 apple computers, not including mine. 3 leather jackets (It's 78 degrees outside but that is neither here nor there.) Everyone looks like either Buddy Holly or a Homeless man/woman.

When I first moved out to California I was amazed at how hip everyone was. To see people dressed the way that people here do in SC, you could probably name their favorite bands and you could guess at least 2 or 3 of their top 5. (most of which includes Animal Collective or Vampire Weekend).

But, I have to realize, in L.A. there is not really any other option. Within about 5 minutes from my house there is 2 urban outfitters, an apple store, Louis Vuitton and an American Apparel.

At what point does hip become unhip when it lies within such close proximity to your home?

I don't know the answer to my question, but this is my concern, am I uncool?

I'm not asking in a metaphysical, what does it all mean kind of way, I mean it in the most shallow way possible. I think about my dad. At some point he picked a look and said, "Yep, this will work for the next 30 years." If all people come to this place, then am I sticking with Gap jeans and pull over collar shirts? I'll chalk it up to the classic look that never goes out of style.

If you are new to the WestCoastMatt blog and based on the 2 previous blogs you are wondering if I am really this materialistic and concerned with appearance...well...I am.

So if any of you have younger siblings, tell them to email me what they are doing, saying and wearing in High school, I gotta stay hip!
This is from Paste Magazine and pretty much encompasses my life the last 10 years. I watched and participated.

1 comment: