Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Break 0-10?

I am currently in Spring Break right now. At Fuller we are on a quarter system, so that means that I have 10 weeks of classes and then a break.

To be honest, my Spring Break was already starting in the negative. Many of you know that I have been a loyal Apple user for quite some time. Is started with my iPod. It has been a slippery slope ever since. I have had an iphone for a couple of years and recently I broke it. You don't know how much it pains me to admit to that fact. I want more than anything to be able to say that some big bully took my phone and broke it. Or that I was talking on it and I was swept up into a Jason Bourne style mission and the phone stopped a bullet aimed for my inner ear.

No, the story is this, I put the phone in my chest pocket of my button up shirt while I was in the bathroom. I bent over to pick up my pants and the phone slipped right out of my pocket. At that moment I entered a movie, instant slo-mo. I watched as it raced towards the ground, but I had this terrible feeling in my stomach that it was over. It hit the ground and made a terrible shattering sound. I picked it up to reveal a shattered screen.
(I am in tears as I write this, all iPhone users will understand)

As you can imagine my heart was broken. I now have a blackberry. Let me tell you something, I have been on both sides and the grass is definitely greener over there on the Apple side. I miss the faster 3G network. I hope there is an app for my depression, because it has hit me, like a wave. A wave of depression.

Materialism aside...

Well, the week before my Spring Break was maybe the most hellish thing I've ever experienced. To be quite frank the last two weeks were just ridiculous. I was ready for the break. The last thing I had to accomplish was an Early Church History exam. This almost did me in. 500 years of history in two essay questions and 7 Identification questions. When some students asked for guidance or a direction to study the professor replied, "Hmm..well...you should know it all, very well". So as you can imagine I was super psyched for that. But in other news, if you want to know the relationship Augustine had with the Donatists and how that affected the Roman State at that time, I am more than ready to give you an essay on the topic.

When I finally completed the test, one song came to mind Celine Dion's It's all coming back to me now. Why you ask? Well, I have not had a Spring Break in quite some time. As a young college student you have lofty ideas on how to spend your time. Los Angeles, Bahamas, Miami etc. MTV dedicates weeks to this. Women get pregnant. It's a crazy time. I had not really thought about mine. Because as you may remember, I was neck deep in the Chalcedon Council. (If you're not familiar, you're not missing much, Christ was incarnated blah blah blah.)

But as I left that room, I was reminded of the beautiful thing that is Spring Break. No School! What was I going to do with all that time? Sleep. But also I wanted to explore, to see new sites, experience new things. This I most definitely did.

San Diego.

Me and a few Fuller friends took a day trip and did it right. We ate mexican food. Rode a roller coaster. I bought some fresh kicks. (Translation: shoes) Ate Pizza and ended the day with maybe one of the greatest pieces of cheesecakes that have ever crossed these lips.

So Far Spring Break has been great as a Master's Student. But, more thoughts on that later.
In closing I leave you with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxoj-tDDIU

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment