Saturday, March 6, 2010

Right the Price is...


Monday I had the opportunity to go to The Price Is Right, and what a spectacle that was. So far in Los Angeles I've gone to Late Night with Jimmy Kimmel and The Tonight Show with Conan O'brian (RIP). These two talk shows were an experience. The goal for these shows is to entertain you. It is a weird experience. They want you there, they need you there. Because, what are these guys really without an audience? It suggests the old question, if a tree falls in the forest with no one to hear? If a joke is told and there is no one there to laugh, is it funny?
Anyway, The Price is right is nothing like those shows. As soon as you step on to that CBS lot you enter into an odd relationship with the show. You now want something from these people. Like, a matching set of Jet-skis, a trip to Brazil, Cutco Knives or A BRAND NEW CAR!!! This is how it works.

Arrive:11:45
Wait in line for about an hour in half as they figure out what groups are there and not there.

1:15: Wait to be interviewed. Put on your most excited face so you can be picked.

3:15: Go inside, wait for the show to start.

3:30 Show starts. Wait in anticipation for your name to be called.

4:45 Leave disappointed that someone's grandmother is going to the Yucatan with $1,000 and a brand new sweater set from Cold-water Creek instead of you.

I was in a bad mood all day. Not because there was a ridculous amount of materialism and Hollywood fakeness around me. That doesn't bother and, honestly, most of time I thrive on materialism. But, because I was starving! That morning before I left I had a bagel with cream cheese. I did not eat another real meal until about 6. Because of the lack of sustenance, I did not put on my game face for the interview. I more or less grunted answers that may or may not have been incomprehensible.

Needless to say, I did not make it on.

The day was not a total loss for me though. After our excursion into TV land, we went and ate. At that point I would have eaten my shoe, but we went to the Farmer's Market at The Grove. The Grove is an outdoor mall and it is not uncommon to see celebrities there. That evening was no different.

While in the Farmer's Market, after I ate my Jambalaya, I was sitting with the group and guess who I saw...Kevin Bacon. The star actor from such films as The Air Up There, Footloose, Death Sentence and A Few Good Men.
He tried to be all casual and walk by me with a Philadelphia Eagles hat on, but it did not work Kevin, I saw you.
I didn't talk to him, but I sure did follow him around for the next 10 minutes.

Kevin, here is eating a burrito, I like to believe it is a pork burrito, my favorite. We have so much in common.

1 comment:

  1. The Baconator! I'm so jealous. I want you to know I was rooting for you on the price is right

    ReplyDelete