Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Victor/ Victoria

The quarter is coming to an end. For me that means, papers, finals, projects and presentations. About 5 months ago when I would to talk to friends about how much I missed school and loved the classroom I forgot about this part. The end is the worst part. No time to process. Like a machine fulfilling requirements. I am have gone into mechanistic haze. I can no longer function like I one had.

Stick a fork in him he's done.

At this very moment I should be writing a paper on Theologies born out of Turmoil. Specifically, Liberation Theology. I have reconsidered and completely revamped the way I view things because of this paper. But, I cannot write anymore. Not on justice or freedom and its relationship to the community of faith. So I decided to blog instead.

I had lunch with a transvestite today.

He/She came into the restaurant that I work at and sat next to me. I was on my break eating lunch at the bar. Sat on the bar stool right beside me. There are in the ball park of 15 other places to sit in this bar and he/she decides to sit next to me. Am I flattered? Maybe, I'm not quite sure what to make of the situation. How did I know that this woman with flowing brown hair was a man? Adam's Apple and what looked to me as a missed spot shaving.

I was eating a burger, veggie patty, with steamed vegetables instead of fries. He/she ordered maybe the grossest burger we have. It contains two beef patties about 2 inches thick, lettuce, cheese, fried onions, bacon, chili and some other heart stopping items. Also, he/she had fries with cheese on them.

I was drinking water, one of the eight I drink a day. By the end of my meal had about 3 glasses of water. He/she was drinking a 24 oz. beer. By the end of his/her meal she had two, a grand total of 48 oz of beer.

I was reading from a newspaper that a customer left behind. He/she watched the television and discussed the RBI average of some dude with the bartender Mike.

We began talking and I realized that he/she was a city councilman and local business owner. I forgot which one or I would tell you. An intelligent man/woman. We discussed Obama's New health care plan and Oprah leaving television in 2012. As I left He/She complimented my shoes.

As I returned to work, as a host at a restaurant. I reflected on the last 20 minutes of my life and wondered who was more of a man? This dress and high heel wearing man/woman. Or the 24 year old host, who had steamed vegetables and read the Wall Street Journal.

I lead an odd life.

No comments:

Post a Comment