Thursday, November 12, 2009

Weezer, as the soundtrack to my life

I may or may not be behind the ball. In the last 3 months whenever I emerge from under the mountain homework that is before me it is for two reasons:
1. Go to the bathroom.
2. Eat some lunch

My life has become extremely cyclical. But, during one of my longer lunch breaks I realized that Weezer put out a new album. I know what you are thinking. "Didn't they just put out a mediocre 'Red' album?" Yes, yes they did. But, to my joy they released, Raditude.

I really haven't the slightest who reads this glorified vomit from my mouth masquerading as a blog, but Weezer has been a mainstay for me for quite some time. I remember hearing their first release, the Blue Album, I wasn't quite sure what I discovered. I knew it was good, but could not describe why. His lyrics were so playful and weird. The music was a perfect match. No presumptions, simply a rock band.

I could write all day about each album and why I like each one in detail. But, I will spare you. I just want to talk about their newest offering. Raditude, in contrast to the Red Album, this feels more like a proper album. It has a flow and the songs are a lot more accessible.

As much I like to pretend that I am Post-modern, leaving order and embracing chaos in all things, I am a sucker for bullet points and a good thesis statement.

This new album is a solid Pop Album. If you are above pop music then, my friend, come down here with us peasants, you are missing out. Catchy lyrics, equally addicting guitar licks. I don't know anyone that can say no to that. And since our beloved King of Pop is no longer with us, we have to make due with what we have.

In closing, I simply want to leave you with this nugget:
Oh, I can't stop partying, partying I can't stop, partying, partying I gotta have the cars, I gotta have the jewels and if you was me, honey, you would do it too Monday to Sunday I hit all the clubs And everybody know me when I pull up I got the real big posse with me, yeah I'm deep And if u lookin for me I'm in vip

Also, in case you were wondering, these are the actual lyrics as they are written. I'm not sure if someone should thank Ebonics or AIM, either way it only makes it better.

1 comment:

  1. i hate that you missed the weezer cover show at new brookland a few weeks ago. bryan taylor came in from portland to play in it. ben walker, christian, brandon kean and chris carroll. it was epic. such a throw back to high school. better times and better music. i have heard nothing good about the new album; however, i haven't tested it for myself.

    ReplyDelete