Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Solitude vs. People

Since I moved here I have been alone. I lived by myself. I don't really know any one else in the area. I had not started school here yet. Currently, I don't have a job. So I have spent the majority of my first month in California, alone. It has been great. I am not a person who necessarily needs people but I do enjoy people. I love to laugh and talk and get peoples opinions on any various topic that I choose (politics, music, chicken salad etc.). Also, I have never spent that much time to myself ever. I have had days where I don't see my friends or family. But, never more than one or two and rarely would a week go by that I would not interact with someone type of acquaintance for an extended amount of time.

In college I read a few books about quiet and finding out who you really are during times like these. I have also heard of of musicians spending a month in a remote cabin and at the end coming out with some incredible piece of music.

Sam arrived Sunday and it was a welcomed change of pace. Someone to talk to. Someone to laugh with. Most of all someone to experience things with. I have had a blast exploring L.A. and finding my way around. Being alone, you can only be so excited before you are look at you because you are giving high fives to strangers.

I went to my first Dodgers game tonight. Sam and I made friends with 2 guys sitting behind us and they invited us to tailgate with them this weekend at the UCLA bruins game. We just have to bring a six pack a piece. While they will provide all the BBQ and other fine delicatessens. There is something to this idea of community and interaction.

But, I do not want to lose some of the introspection, the creative times and the personal exploration of this direction in my life. Like everything so far about the last two months since I have left the East Coast everything is new and exciting and different. I look forward to to what else Tinsel Town has in store.

Also, for those of you who are keeping score. I will be taking these classes this Quarter:
Greek
Urban Evangelism
Introduction to Theological Studies

No comments:

Post a Comment